My internship journey finished after the last four great months. I have developed SDF editor for Gazebo which allows to modify the current world model by directly modifying the SDF file loaded in the memory. I have learned a lot, enjoyed more.. Nate Koenig which is my mentor for this internship is always with me with his valuable help in order to direct me though the project and answer my questions. It was my first time to be in such a great international project, working with a person on chat. Many thanks to open source community, many thanks to OPW for encouraging girls to participate in such organizations. I have tried to log my work in this blog which is http://robot.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~binnur/ . The codes can be found in https://bitbucket.org/binnur/gazebo/commits/all . As a future plan, I will continue on this project in order to make it ready for the next release of Gazebo. I will be very proud of it if I can achieve
Finally, I can come up with saving strategies. I offer some options to the user as listed above:
- update: As stated before, the user would like to see the visual effect of his change made in the SDF. If he hits the update button, the changes in the SDF is realized in the world model in the memory so the visual effect can be seen in the rendering scene.
- discard: If the user wants to take back all changes done on the SDF without any modification on the initial SDF, discard button is available. After hitting the discard button, a warning dialog is appeared in order to inform the user that the changes will be discarded. If the user accepts, initial SDF is loaded into the editor and the rendering scene is also updated (which means the changes in the world model in the memory is retrieved)
- save as: the user can save the current sdf in the editor by hitting save as button. Save dialog will open and ask for the name of the file and the location. After saving the SDF, the changes can not be reverted. Revert option is available between two save operations.
- done: the user can save the changes in the editor then exits.
- close: exits the editor immediately without asking for any save option.